Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Labs and the return of Buddy


There’s a lot to write about today, but its mostly school. So let’s get started shall we!

Lab P.S. & E. II – Brownian Motion- do you ever wonder if you eyes are going to deflate and leak out of your head before the day is through? If you want to reproduce that terrible sensation, try observing a fun phenomenon called Brownian Motion. That is basically observing microscopic objects (in this case some pollen- I think) making weird zig zag motions caused by molecular collisions. We basically took a solution of this stuff and placed it under a microscope. The microscope has a built in video camera, and we made about 35 to 40 frames of a time lapse recording at 1 frame per second. When you replay the framed you have to watch the particles and track their displacement. The hard part comes in when the particles “sink” out of the depth of field for the microscope lens. That means we had to watch tons of particles and find ones that didn’t “disappear”. Over 33 frames of watching individual particles pout of hundreds. Just typing that makes my brain want to deflate and leak out my ears. I’m glad I don’t have to do that again.

In other news my car is back from the dead, and without voodoo, which is what I was thinking I was going to need to resort to. There was apparently a clog in both my fuel pump and fuel filter, and I head bad brakes and also leaky break lines, and a leaky transmission. But that’s all fixed now, so buddy has gone from leaky leaky to clean squeaky (and thank you Mom and Dad for being patient and helping me)!

And now I work. Until 1 AM. Oh joy of joys. So that means more homework. That’s pretty much my life when I am in school. I have to tell my friends that I came down with a bad case of Scholasticitis and doctors had to amputate my social life. But don’t worry, I hear it can grow back.


T

No comments: