Friday, July 25, 2008

As Luck Would Have It

Good evening everyone,

Today had its ups and downs. Lady Luck was in a fickle mood today, trying to decide whether I should be the most unlucky guy in the world, or the one in a million lottery winner. Turns out I was close to the lottery winner… Although I usually always loose at gambling.

Let’s start with the tally:

-woke up to find my car had been egged… Again! (bad)

-got to math class only to find it had been cancelled, and I now have two more days to work on a huge project. (good)

-found a nice parking spot right outside the physics building where they would not tow my car. (good)

-went to pick up photos that I had printed for relatives from the water skiing trip, to find that the photo place had changed their prices, and it was twice as much as I had expected. (bad)

-went to GrayWhale CD Exchange to pick up an album that I couldn’t decide if I wanted or not, and they still had it. (good)

So as you can see, over all it was a good day to be me. The good luck odds greatly outweighed the bad, and it was a good day to be me. Not that it ever isn’t… ;)

So, ending the afternoon in the physics lab for about 4-ish hours, and going on about 4-ish hours of sleep, I spent the afternoon with Condi. If you do not know who Condi is, please look a couple of posts down for ‘the wonderful world of…’ post. This time around, I had to cool the semi-conductor instead of heating it. So I’m tired, drinking a warm Coke, and thinking about how I am going to do this, then the professor comes in with a tub of liquid nitrogen for me to pour under the thingy (yes, that is its technical term… probably) to cool it. He helped me set up the apparatus, and left the giant opened container of liquid nitrogen to be attended only by me and the hum of electrical equipment. So, I thought, why am I drinking a ‘warm’ Coke, when this situation has presented itself? So I decided that I should cool my beverage…

That was a bad idea... a really bad idea.

-Apparently, when a warm soda is submersed in liquid nitrogen, it explodes. I did not know this- until now. And it’s the last thing I would have thought too. So after getting paper towels, and dabbing up the mess, I thought this was fine and no one would ever know. Until I heard a clanking inside the liquid nitrogen tank… (bad)

I peeked inside to find two giant Coke ice cubes floating in there, dancing in the bubbles. Panicking, I searched for something to fish them out with. In the middle of my quest for a Coke-Cube removal tool, the professor came in to collect the liquid nitrogen, and promptly noticed the clanking noise. He inquired as to what it was.

Quickly thinking, I came up with an elaborate lie about how the soda had just exploded while I was over there, and some had gotten inside. And to my knowledge, he bought it… (good)

And that is the story my day out with Lady Luck. Call me honey, we should do this again some time. It was fun.

T

No comments: