Thursday, July 10, 2008

Movie Mania Season (A.K.A. Bad News For Me)

Good afternoon everyone,

I thought that I would just check in today with a quick thought. Actually, a quick thought and some news on The Cinema Project (possibly disappointing).

I started The Cinema Project to do a little bit of a different kind of movie review. I wanted a review that judged movies on an ‘It is what it is’ basis. I wanted to create a critique for the Joe Moviegoer. Moreover, I hate the normal movie critic, because they almost always judge good movies to standards that usually do not apply. They look for the high minded and deep types of things that simply do not belong in some movies. I know that makes me come off as a champion for the uneducated, but allow me to explain: if you go see an action movie, or a gross out fart joke movie, there is obviously not going to be a lot of depth to them. The basis for The Cinema Project is to not look for those types of things where they simply are not, and not to try and read any deeper than the movie was meant to be read.

There are a few critics that do take this into account, and judge the movies on that basis. The thing that you should do is find a critic with similar tastes as you, and listen to what they have to say. Always take it with a grain of salt however. Because every ones tastes are different, and beuaty is in the eye of the beholder.

I bring this up because I was reading a local newspaper, and reading the movie review section. The critic pretty much pissed all over Hellboy II, and I had given it a good rating. The reason he gave it such a poor grade was because he said it was too commercialized, and he thought it was tame compared to the first ome. Granted, I also thought the first one was better, but I like to judge each individual movie in its own merit, even sequels. He did not ask: does it deliver what it promises?

I hope that you all find some use in my page, that is if you have taste as bad as mine (kidding).

There was also a bit of developing (bad) news on this front as well: I may not be able to attend a lot of pre screenings for a while. As most of you know (now everyone I guess) I have to rely on some one else to get me into these. Unfortunately, because it is summer blockbuster season, they want more and more seats for promotional tickets, and are cutting down on the number of guests that the press can have. So, basically, I will have to try and ‘win’ tickets through whatever contests that are going on (fat chance I am going to play those), or see it on opening night. So if you are relying on The Cinema Project as a bit of a ‘heads-up’, it will come a little late. It will not be every time however, just now and then until this season is over. I am still hoping for The Dark Knight this Wednesday, but due to the news yesterday, it appears to be a coin toss at this point… *sigh*

T

No comments: